I just found this great trichotillomania resource, which can be found at http://blog.trich-free.com/
The following post from their site gives a great overview of the kind of material on the blog.
Here are our top 10 articles from 2014:
- I Pull My Hair – Is Something Wrong with Me? (12/9/14)
- Trichotillomania And The Secret of True Self-Confidence (1/6/14)
- Shaving Your Head – A Real Solution for Trichotillomania? (11/13/14)
- Part I: Commitment in Action – The Inspiring Story of Katie (1/30/14)
- Trichotillomania And You: The Past Does Not Equal The Future (12/31/13)
- Trichotillomania: To Have Or Have Not (11/20/14)
- Pillars of Trichotillomania Freedom, Pt. III: Emotional Healing & Freedom from Trichotillomania (5/13/14)
- “Programming” Your Subconscious Mind for Trichotillomania Freedom (5/7/14)
- Trichotillomania And The Winning Attitude of An Olympian (2/15/14)
- Part II: Commitment in Action – The Inspiring Story of Katie (2/8/14)
Based on this list, here are four of the most important take-aways that have come through loud and clear. Of course, feel free to share your thoughts about these in the comments section below.
- Trichotillomania does significant damage to one’s self-esteem. It’s clear that one of the most troubling elements of trichotillomania is the sufferer’s feelings about themselves. Generally speaking, the longer one has struggled with trichotillomania, the worse one feels about themselves.But it doesn’t have to take long. Teenagers often feel the worst about their struggles with trich. Feelings of being different – or even damaged, as though something is really “wrong” with them because they pull – are common. Such feelings are especially difficult during the teenage years, when acceptance by one’s peers – the need to “fit in” – is of paramount importance.The good news is, this also means resolving one’s challenges with trichotillomania virtually always results in a massive and nearly immediately improvement in one’s self-esteem; here at The Trichotillomania Relief Specialists, we’ve seen it happen this way again and again and again. Within just days after starting with us, clients are happier, more self-assured and more confident than they’ve felt in years.
- The most commonly suggested solutions for trich may not actually be solutions at all. What kinds of ideas for managing your trichotillomania have been offered to you by your well-meaning medical doctor or mental health professionals? What kind of ideas have you come up with as a result of your own research?I’ll tell you what WE hear – shave your head, put gloves on your hands or grease on your fingertips, cover your head with a hat, bandana or hairpiece, go outside and pull grass instead, etc., etc., etc.Ridiculous, right? Whether or not you’ve actually tried any of these, don’t they just sound silly?
Because, what is it you instinctually know? That’s right – at best, these are nothing more than strategies to help manage or temporarily redirect your urges to pull – not to eliminate them. And even if they “worked”, how long could they possibly provide meaningful relief? Only until the next set of urges beset you. It’s a never-ending cycle, and because of that, it’s reasonable to ask whether there might be anything more effective than a mere band-aid for managing trich symptoms.
- Next to strategy, commitment is what’s most important. We’ve seen again and again how a deep and powerful desire to be free of trichotillomania has made the transition to a trich-free lifestyle that much easier.True, clients need to first learn how to create that freedom from trichotillomania. That’s why they come to see us – to be taught the two most important pillars to true, lasting and struggle-free independence from hair-pulling (both elements are taught in the very first week of our flagship 90-Day Distance Personal Breakthrough Coaching Program™).Of course, once clients learn the two major elements to freedom from trichotillomania, they do need to be willing to employ what they’ve learned at the appropriate times. We’ve discovered that those with the deepest commitment to freedom from trichotillomania are the most likely to employ those strategies most regularly, thereby most quickly and easily freeing themselves from the prison of trichotillomania.
- Your beliefs have a lot to do with your success – or lack thereof. In particular, I’m talking about the beliefs you hold regarding your own power to change what’s not working in your life.Do you believe you have the ability to conquer your trichotillomania? Do you believe anyone has that ability? Or do you believe your trichotillomania is – and must remain – firmly in control? Do you believe the best you can ever hope for is to manage your trich symptoms (but not ever really get rid of it once and for all)? Even if it were possible, do you believe successfully managing your trich symptoms has to mean constant struggle along the way?If upon reading these questions you realize your answers are not what you wish they were, understand you’re not alone! Just about all of our clients have felt exactly the same way at various points along their journey with trichotillomania. In fact, most are still feeling this way the very first day they meet us to begin their 90-Day Distance Personal Breakthrough Coaching Program™ with us.
It stands to reason that the more you believe you can at least learn to exert control over your trich symptoms, the easier you’ll find it to be. Unfortunately, the opposite is true as well.
But more good news: even if you don’t believe you have the ability to take control of your trichotillomania, we can assure you it is indeed possible – for most, in fact, far more easily than they ever imagined possible. You simply have to learn the skill. Like any other skill, the more you practice, the better you get.